Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm sooo excited...

I just checked my email and someone has made my day. More on that in a minute - first I have a confession to make. My name is JoAnne and I am a recovered Ebayaholic. I live in a very rural area and antique shops, thrift shops and the like are few and far between (good ones anyway). With my discovery of the internet and Ebay, I was able to fulfill my craving for bargains, treasures and trinkets.

Then the unthinkable happened - someone successfully hacked into my Ebay account. I was devastated (and more than a little nervous). I immediately closed my account and went cold turkey! After awhile, I opened a new account and took certain precautions to safeguard my personal information. But alas, the thrill was somewhat tarnished.

A few months ago I discovered a new outlet for bargain hunting - Craigslist. The hunt for treasures was on! But to my dismay, none were found locally. Then I discovered you can change the city you are searching for in Craigslist and I was delighted. I started searching in the Syracuse and Utica areas, which are only an hour away but are filled with a wider variety of interesting and unusual items.

This brings me to my email and excitement this morning. For some time, I have been looking for a canonball 4 poster bed for my bedroom. I want to paint it white and I have some guilt about painting "new" furniture so I was looking for a second hand one. I was very particular - I needed a queen size bed. I wanted something substantial in scale (no pencil post bed for me). I wanted a quilt rack on the foot board. And of course, it had to be a bargain. This picture from Ashley Furniture shows the style I was looking for.



I was growing discouraged that I would ever find exactly what I wanted when what should appear on Syracuse's Craiglist but the PERFECT bed. I quickly emailed the owner yesterday morning. Since she listed the bed Sunday night, I was on pins and needles waiting for her to tell me that nobody else had snatched up my treasure. She only wanted $100 and I was afraid other bargain hunters would be quicker to the keyboard than me. Well, this morning I received my response - the bed is mine! Here is my new find -


Isn't it beautiful? The posts aren't canonballs but the rest of it is so perfect that I can overlook that. (And actually I kind of like the detailing on the posts.) I can't wait to get it home and make it mine. I think I will paint it a creamy white. And I would like to add an applique to the headboard like this one on Do It Yourself Chic.




I think Craigslist and I are going to have a long and happy relationship. Now if you will excuse me - I am off to sweet talk my brother-in-law who owns a truck into making a trip to Syracuse. JoAnne

4 comments:

Cindy said...

OH MY GOSH! You got such a great deal! I love that. I've been looking for a bed for my daughter on Craigslist too but haven't had much luck. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you're finished!

Donna said...

Hi JoAnne! Thanks so much for visiting my 'squirrel house' blog entry! LOL I LOVE the bed you got and can't wait to see it painted!! What a great buy! I'm planning to do the same thing to our old dark brown bedroom set. It's the only furniture in the house that has escaped the white paint thus far! LOL Happy painting!...Donna

{oc cottage} said...

This is HILARIOUS!!!! I stay away form Craigslist for that very reason!
If I see it, I want it...the old, "it was too cheap NOT to buy!" mentality.
I have to keep myself away from ebay too...I am sooooooooo weak!

M

Kay said...

Joanne, I just found your blog and wanted to let you know if you are looking for handcrafted items or want to sell handcrafted items you might want to check out Etsy.com I love the stuff there, all handcrafted items. Good luck with your bed, it looks great. I'll be painting my bedroom furniture this summer too!